- The owner is a kind, sweet old man who treats you like a guest in his own house.
- The rooms are large, with the -02 rooms being especially large
- The -01 rooms come with a view towards the ocean (though not exactly an ocean view) through large windows, with blackout curtains.
- The beds and pillows are comfortable, even by Western hotel standards
- The rooms seem to have been recently renovated, and are cleaned well. The outside and lobby area may seem shabby, but my room (401) seemed quite new.
- While there's no food provided by the owner, there is a Denny's directly across the street for breakfast. (the menu is not the same as an American Denny's, but you can still get eggs and pancakes)
- Free Wi-Fi
- The owner will stash your roadbike away if you ask him (he may also keep it just inside the lobby, which in a place as quiet as Atami is just fine)
- No elevators in the building. I only had a backpack, but if you have heavy luggage, be warned.
- No vending machines, local convenience stores, or restaurants nearby. You're a 5 minute walk away from anything except the Denny's. (while green tea and instant coffee is available in-room and at the lobby, anything more and you'll have to venture out)
One warning however: no elevators are in this building. If you are on the 4th floor, you will have to walk up with your luggage.