Atlanta's Black History and Civil Rights Tour
Cleaning and safety practices
Join us as we unfold time with this exciting Black History and Civil Rights tour. What better place to delve into African-American heritage than the Mecca of the Civil Rights Movement? Showcasing historic sites and most talked about black historic neighborhoods like Summerhill, The West End, Downtown Atlanta, Old 4th Ward and the Historic Sweet Auburn Ave District. During this 4 hour tour you will be immersed in black culture and arts, civil rights landmarks, groundbreaking HBCU’s, Tyler Perry Studios, along with famous Hollywood Film & TV locations and more. These are some of the reasons Atlanta is nicknamed “The Black Mecca” and one of the top destinations for Black History and Culture. This tour goes further than any other tour, allowing you to fully experience the historical and cultural significance of our groundbreaking city.
Atlanta's Black History and Civil Rights Tour 09:30
Atlanta's Black History and Civil Rights Tour 14:00
What's included, what's not
Know Before You Book
- Infants and small children can ride in a pram or stroller
- Service animals allowed
- Public transportation options are available nearby
- Suitable for all physical fitness levels
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
- Atlanta Marriott Marquis Hotel is the meet-up location for all travelers. Good location that's using using Marta train riders, Uber/Lyft drop offs. The hotel has comfortable lobby seating, clean bathrooms, and Starbucks (opened 6am-1pm only) Parking is available, but isn't free! The parking garages and lots are located about one block from the hotel. Parking rates range $10-$30. Please arrive 15-20 min before tour departure.
- Tour operates in all weather. Umbrella or rain poncho is recommended for for light rain. For extreme weather conditions, please call the phone number on your voucher to reconfirm tour operation.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 14 travelers
- The morning tour starts from 9:30am-1:30pm and the afternoon tour 2:00pm-6:00pm
Mercedes Benz Stadium (Pass by)
Cruising through the Centennial Olympic attractions and see the great views of Mercedes Benz stadium, CNN Center, State Farm Arena, and Downtown Atlanta's beautiful skyline.
Underground Atlanta (Pass by)
Heart of Atlanta! Where Atlanta began. -Amazing unknown facts!!
Georgia State Capitol (Pass by)
Atlanta's Government Center -Atlanta City Hall -Fulton County Courthouse -Georgia Depot
Atlanta Olympic Cauldron Tower
Pass by the Olympic Stadium & Torch and relive the 1996 olympic moments. Amazing unknown facts! -Atlanta Fulton County Stadium -Baseball legend Hank Aaron -Historic Summerhill
Tyler Perry Studios
Fun Stop for selfies and group photos See the original Madea’s House ***Note: Visitors are only allowed to enter the studio entrance area after 5pm Friday, all-day Sat & Sun and holidays per Tyler Perry mgmt.
Shrine of the Black Madonna (Pass by)
Atlanta oldest bookstore and culture center *Great street art murals and famous black-owned businesses
Atlanta University Center Historic District (Pass by)
*West End Atlanta (one of Atlanta’s spiritually rich neighborhoods) -Beautiful Street Arts Murals -Locally Black-owned business -Atlanta university Center (HBCU): (Largest Consortium of black colleges in the country) Morehouse College, Spellman College, Clark Atlanta University, Morris Brown College, Interdenominational Theological Center, Morehouse school of Medicine -Famous Film locations
Castleberry Hill Historic District (Pass by)
Atlanta’s hidden jewel for eclectic, laid-back, rich art gallery scenery. -Paschal’s Restaurant -(OLG) Old Lady Gang Restaurant -The Glam Shop -Frost Bistro & Bar -Escobar Restaurant & Tapas -The Castleberry filming Back lot of famous movies & TV shows
Sweet Auburn (Pass by)
Once Atlanta’s richest Negro Street in the world. -Woodruff Park, Atlanta Daily World (1st black daily newspaper) -Atlanta Life, Apex Museum, Royal Peacock, - SCLC Headquarters, Historic Black churches -Beautiful Civil Rights art murals -Famous Movie locations
Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site
Home to one of the greatest freedom fighters, Dr. MLK Jr! Ebenezer Baptist Church MLK’s Birth Home The King Center The Visitors Center
Edgewood Avenue Southeast (Pass by)
Historic Old 4th Ward District known for beautiful street art murals and Eclectic Bar District. -The Swag Shop, Esca Seafood & Bar, Cafe Circa Resturant & Bar Harold’s Chicken & Ice Bar, Fin & Feathers, BQE Resturant & Lounge
The Municipal Market
*Atlanta’s historic gem! Lunch stop Great food and snack options from Independent/family-owned eateries like Soul food, BBQ, New Orleans, seafood West African & Asian cuisines, wide selections of herbs & spices and much more. Grady Hospital Butler Street YMCA
Cleaning and safety practices
Enhanced cleanliness measures
- High-touch surfaces cleaned and disinfected
- Vehicles and venues cleaned with disinfectants
- Gear and equipment sanitized between use
- Personal protective equipment worn by staff
- Masks required
- Hand sanitizer provided
- Atlanta Olympic Cauldron Tower
- 513-637 Capitol Ave SE
- Atlanta Georgia 30312
- Atlanta Marriott Marquis
- 265 Peachtree Center Avenue Northeast
- Atlanta Georgia 30303